Monday, October 22, 2012

End of Third Week


First of all, I’m sorry for missing last week’s blog post.  I had other things that took priority over this and just couldn’t fit it in my schedule. 

Well this piece is proving to be much harder than expected.  I am becoming doubtful of getting it to a performance level by the end of the twelve weeks.  However, I do plan to continue and do all I can to get it as far along as I possibly can.  I have had some incredible breakthroughs already in my playing so even if I don’t complete the piece as planned I’ve made some great gains that I would not have made otherwise. 

Most of all my technique is improving greatly.  I had a gig the other night and was pleasantly surprised to feel a greater ease in playing, better tone control, and more fluidness in my playing.  I owe this partly to my teaching and having to come up with different exercises to address different technical issues each student is having.  As I come up with these exercises I apply them to this piece and my own playing and put it into practice.  I’m also working hard to make this Bach piece sound as good as possible so I’m working on my control more than ever.  If anyone is interested in specifics of what I’m doing I’d be happy to share so please make a comment or send me a message on facebook.

As I have been discovering how hard this piece is I am trying to practice smarter.  Right now I’m putting most of my focus into working out fingerings.  This piece has so many options for fingerings and some of the ones indicated in the music don’t work well for me so I have been analyzing the whole piece to figure this out.  My goal is to work out the fingerings by the end of this week.  I decided to get together with my previous teacher, Brian Roberts, to get some help in this area in making good decisions in fingerings and articulations.  We met for a lesson this last week and it was so great to get his expert advice and opinions. 

I continue to struggle to practice 6 days a week but I have discovered a new way of going about this.  Some days it is possible for me to fit in a couple of sessions while other days I simply do not have any time to practice.  So I’m doubling up on some days to get as much time in as possible.  I’m having to put in late night practices and I think I’m going to be getting up to practice from 6 – 7 AM tomorrow.

I’m sorry if this blog is kind of dry.  I’m unsure of who is reading it and trying to decide what information would be the most interesting and beneficial to you readers.  Right now I’m just trying to give a general idea of how the challenge is going.

Thanks for reading.

SDG

No comments:

Post a Comment