The Good Struggle
I was reminded the other day that
struggle is a good thing. It can help us to grow. When we are faced
with obstacles, it's not always about the outcome but about how we
handle it. This is what the Bach Challenge has become for me.
I'm really struggling to meet my goals
that I set in the beginning. It is very difficult finding time to
practice. I am getting some good focused practice time in but it's
just not as much as I'd like. The thing is, I just don't have the
time between teaching, taking care of the kids, and so forth. You
know how it is. Also, it is very hard to work on the relaxed/
effortless playing as I don't get much practice time that is quiet
and without interruptions.
I have been really trying to figure out
how to make more time for this and have not come up with any instant
solution. What I have decided is that I still cannot give up on
this. As mentioned in previous posts, I've had some incredible
breakthroughs in my playing even if I am only meeting 60-70% of my
goals.
Realization
The realization I had the other day was
that God looks at our hearts. He knows our efforts. He knows our
struggles. Even though we can't do everything exactly right, it
comes down to honest effort. Deep down we know when we are making
excuses and wasting time.
I have to be honest here about my
efforts as a Christian because this was part of the challenge, that I
seek God with what I'm doing in my music and making sure I am on
God's side (I almost said that God is on my side). My efforts have
been very weak. I'm in that part of the Christian cycle where I
don't seem to be nearly as connected with God as I was during the
summer. I really struggle to make time to pray, read, and study.
However, just by being frustrated about this reminds me that God is
still nudging me along. The Spirit really does live in me even now!
This is not an excuse but having kids
sure makes it hard to devote myself to anything fully. I know a lot
of you probably can agree on this. BUT, I have been learning to be
more selfless which is a big lesson I think I need to learn along
with so many other lessons I am learning as a parent. So even though
I can't devote much time to God, He is still here with me AND He is
quite possibly giving me other challenges that I need to focus on to
grow as a Christian. So even though I can't fit in a good devotion
time every day, I can still do my best to live according to what I
know is right by God.
Application and Direction
Now, coming back to the Bach challenge.
I know I can't give up on this even though I'm not where I'd like to
be with it. I still need to do my best because what I'm
accomplishing is better than giving up on this. I also need to
continue to try to meet my goals as best as possible. This is really
hard because I'm going to have to accept failure as I've experienced
in past weeks. I hate failure!
I have worked out most of the
fingerings in the piece and have begun practicing different sections
to build some muscle memory. Of the four pages of the piece, I have
the first page roughly worked out and probably a total of another
half page roughly practiced to build some muscle memory. I will be
continuing this process to get to a point where I can play slowly
through the piece. During this process I will also work at
memorizing the piece so as I speed it up I am not held back by
reading the music. By memorizing it also means that I really know
the piece.
Best wishes to you and your own
challenges.
SDG (All Glory to God)
No comments:
Post a Comment